- Thanks to a bunch of LJ friends that linked to this exposee of hotel room glasses and flagrant violation of sanitary practices. I mean, I didn't expect a lot, but maybe a little hot water and a rub of soap? This, however, transgresses into literally criminal territory.
- An asteroid may hit Mars around the end of this month. The new probability is about a 4% chance of collision. This figure may get revised upwards a few more times before we know that it will or will not hit the planet. (The rising probability followed by a drop to 0% is based on uncertainty and... I could explain it with a cone and some lines... just trust me.)
- Do not return merchandise you've loaded with porn. That's bad manners. Do not sell an MP3 player as 'new' that's loaded with porn where it may be a kid's Christmas gift. That's wrong and illegal and icky.
- Speaking of music, the RIAA (record companies' mouthpiece) is saying that ripping CDs is making unauthorized and infringing copies, even when they're for personal use only. This statement flies in the face of accepted rulings on fair use, AFAIK. Still, it's scary that they can get away with this stuff and might make it stick.
- Did you see that pterodactyl? Right here in Washington? That must've been cool. This guy saw it, while weaving through traffic and smashing his car into a light pole. Iron-clad defense, I'd say.
- Kit and I both finished Portal. What an excellent game! Here's a snippet from an interview with the head writer on why there was the cake theme:
Well, there are lots of message games coming out now. Like they’ve got something really important to get off their chest about the war in Iraq or the player is forced to make some dicey underwater moral choices. ... With that in mind, at the beginning of the Portal development process, we sat down as a group to decide what philosopher or school of philosophy our game would be based on. That was followed by about fifteen minutes of silence and then someone mentioned that a lot of people like cake.
(It's somehow like the positive side of a Dilbert strip.)
I got a chance to see Zootopia with my family this past weekend. [No spoilers below, don’t worry.] This is a movie that I’ve been looking forward to…
Kit and I flew down to FC. The flight was an inauspicious start to the trip... SF was stacked up due to weather. We actually took off at 11:15…
I started my next novel manuscript during this past month. I used the momentum of NaNoWriMo to get things jumpstarted. I did not expect to reach…