|Garden Project, Day 4
||[May. 24th, 2009|10:06 pm]
We've had some glorious weather thus far on Memorial Day weekend and have put it to good use to get more yard work done. We're still working on the Neverending Vegetable Garden Project of Doomtm but we made progress.
Retaining walls on the upper bed are about 2/3 completed. The back wall there is the highest any of these are going.
The bed will be filled with planting topsoil (already purchased and sitting on our driveway) up to a few inches from the top of the brick wall. That gives us 16-18" of nice soil before hitting the existing soil (which really isn't too bad -- it's sandy so it drains decently).
You can barely see in this photo some vertical green posts in the back corners. Those are supports for bird netting. Since we're going to raise berries, among other things, this is essential.
The next bed down will also have a wall that's two bricks tall. The blocks poking out sideways from this retaining wall are part of that bed's border. Don't know when we might actually complete that bed... Our major goal is just to get the first vegetable bed in place so we can move our plants in and grow some things this year. Over the summer we'll see about building the next bed.
Timothy has fun helping out but, as is expected, doesn't really have the attention span to stick with laborious yard work for hours on end. Kit helped keep him duly occupied throughout the day, along with hauling concrete and numerous other things.
Owning some woodland is nice in that you don't have to do too much to maintain it... But when you do need to, it's generally something big.
Tag team effort by Kit and me to get through this one. (Yes, it was sawn by hand. We haven't yet purchased a chainsaw.) It's one of the largest trees we've had come down and it happened to fall directly across the main path to the road (aka "my commute").
One other thing we did in the yard today was create another new path. For some reason, there's a water faucet out beyond the lawn. It's up a hill, behind trees and shrubs, and generally overgrown. I can't imagine why it was placed there. So I roughed out a path running up the little hill and planted area and weaving through the trees to get to it. The faucet itself is practically within the bushes so I cut around behind it so there's a hollow. It blends in well and I only cut a few living branches from the trees and shrubs in order to keep things natural. (It's a very rat-like path, I guess.)
We're planning to do more work tomorrow. Our goal is to finish the walls and get started moving the dirt!