|Chef Rat: Crispy Orange Beef, Black Bean Squash, Fried Rice
||[Sep. 8th, 2012|09:23 pm]
Crispy Orange Beef
- Cut beef into strips. I used "fajita beef" pack from the supermarket so it was pre-cut.
- Marinate in soy sauce, red wine, and orange juice (I used triple sec, too).
- After 30 min, drain.
- Prepare a dry dredge mix of mostly flour with a bit of salt, ground pepper, and five spice powder mixed in.
- Heat a wok with oil deep enough for frying until it's quite hot.
- Using tongs, pull out a piece, do a quick dredge, and put it into the oil. Wait a few seconds between putting pieces in to avoid sticking or oil temperature drops. Don't overcrowd.
- Remove when golden brown to paper plate or paper towel to hold. Continue until all beef pieces have been fried.
- In a second wok (or having drained and cleaned first one), heat a tablespoon of oil.
- Add thin onion slices and roughly chopped garlic cloves (and optionally a chili or chili oil). Stir fry until fragrant and onion starts to become translucent.
- Add juice of two medium oranges and a tablespoon of soy sauce and a tablespoon of teriyaki sauce.
- Stir fry to cook and combine sauce. Add a small amount of cornstarch slurry to thicken if necessary.
- Add sliced green onions.
- Add in all beef and toss once or twice to coat. Then remove to serving plate.
- Optional serving suggestion: top with additional green onions and some toasted sesame seeds